Project Details

According to the inscription written by Zîver Paşa on the entrance gate, it was built by Sultan Abdülmecid in 1270 (1854). The mosque, whose architect was Nikogos Balyan, consists of the harim section and the künkâr pavilion in front of the entrance, as in the 19th century Selâtin mosques.

The mosque reflects the characteristics of the period in late Ottoman architecture (1839-1861) when Western influences, the first signs of which were felt in the second quarter of the 18th century, gained intensity and the architectural tradition underwent a significant change. The exterior stone decorations of the square-planned mosque are dominated by the taste of the Abdülmecid period, which was fed by the baroque, empire and neo-Renaissance styles. The interior decoration program consists of plaster reliefs with gold leaf, stucco stucco and baroque hand drawings.

The mosque has been subjected to various repairs until today, and the entire structure was handled in the restoration works that started in 2011. Conservation works were carried out on the deteriorated stone surfaces in line with international rules. The lead cover and architectural elements in poor condition were renewed in the original technique. Reinforced concrete flooring was carefully dismantled and replaced with wooden flooring. The deteriorated hand drawings, plaster works, and gold leaf works were taken under protection and restored, and the deteriorated parts of the original stucco plasters were reconstructed with the original technique. The intermediate floor in the last congregation was removed and the original plan scheme was revealed. After the Restoration works, landscaping was done and it was opened for worship.

Project Description

Completed Project